Feijoa is a large bright green berry with a huge range of useful properties. The fruits grow on evergreen shrubs. They are oval or spherical in shape.
For the most part it is found in the subtropics, other places settle in worse. Brazil is considered the home of this plant, it was there that it was first noticed.
In addition to the United States of America, the fruit also conquered the countries of Europe: France, Spain, Italy. In Russia, it is found on the Black Sea coast, favorite places: Yalta, Adler, Sochi and others.
The berry looks like a giant gooseberry, and the taste has a lot in common. There are also similar elements with kiwi, there is a slight shade of iodine. Ripe fruits have an elastic peel and a soft inside. It is not necessary to clean them before use. If you press lightly on the crust, it will bend under your fingers, and then restore its original state. Fruits are considered overripe and are not subject to consumption when a dent or crack remains on the surface.
How to eat feijoa
Feijoa can be eaten raw, with or without the skin. In this state, it is the most useful, it includes a lot of various substances necessary for the body.
It is used as an additional ingredient for vegetable and fruit salads.
Fresh can be stored for a long time for several months. The main thing is that the place is dark and with a temperature regime of 2 to 7 degrees. For this, a refrigerator or an unheated corridor, an entrance hall is suitable.
Spread the feijoa on a baking sheet, board or other surface without using a plastic bag.
Great for freezing, tolerates low temperatures without much damage to the composition. It is most convenient to cut the balls into 4 parts, first along and then across, but whole fruits can be cold-treated.
It is very easy to grate the green pulp along with the peel on a coarse grater, lay in layers in jars, alternating with sugar. Then store in the refrigerator for 2-3 months.
Berry jam is tasty, but less healthy than in the cases listed above. During heat treatment, many vitamins and minerals are destroyed.
Berries contain only 65 kcal per 100 grams of product. They are also a dietary fruit due to the fact that they contain a large amount of iodine.
Suitable for a snack or as a dinner. But you need to eat them with caution so that there is no oversaturation with vitamins. The daily dose for an adult is 100 – 150 grams.
- Iodine is the main building block. Its amount varies depending on the variety, but in any case, the content will be quite large. Since the element is water-soluble, it is well absorbed by the body.
- The second place is occupied by ascorbic acid. Vitamin C is also very important for human health at any age, it forms and strengthens the immune system. Replenishes strength and stamina.
- Vitamins of group “B” included in the composition provide comfortable digestion, improve metabolism, stabilize the nervous system. They are well absorbed, quickly make up for the deficit created during heavy physical exertion.
- The benefits of vitamin E can be talked about for hours. It is necessary and has a beneficial effect on all organs. Found in most tissues of the human body. By itself, it is a powerful antioxidant. With regular use in food, it can stop the aging process. Improves the appearance and structure of hair, nails, skin.
- The high content of potassium “K”, which is found in almost all cells of a living organism, contributes to the full functioning of internal and external organs. Accelerates metabolism, normalizes metabolism.
- Phosphorus “P” and calcium “Ca” ensure the full formation and strength of bones and teeth.
- Magnesium “Mg” is essential for a healthy nervous and immune system. Perfectly interacts with the minerals listed above.
- Sodium “Na” maintains normal water balance, prevents the formation of edema. It has a beneficial effect on the functioning of the heart and vascular system.
- The high content of flavonoids has a positive effect on the digestive system, promotes the production of enzymes.
- And of course precious fiber, which is a plant fiber. It is necessary for the gastrointestinal tract, helps with various disorders, poisoning.
Useful properties of feijoa
Looking back at the listed composition of the main elements, it is easy to assume how useful these small, green fruits are.
A significant amount of iodine restores the full functioning of this organ. Activates defense systems. It is a high quality prophylactic. Of course, it is impossible to cope with serious diseases of the gland, but it may well prevent it.
The high content of flavonoids and antioxidants prevents the development of cancer cells. Therefore, feijoa should be eaten regularly, based on the daily allowance.
Naturally restores and strengthens the immune system. Protects against influenza and various types of SARS. Helps the body fight viral infections.
Increases and maintains normal levels of hemoglobin in the blood.
Stabilizes the work of the gastrointestinal tract. Removes toxins and harmful substances. Promotes comfortable digestion at all levels. Quickly relieves diarrhea and constipation. Removes decay products and excess fluid from the body. Improves metabolic processes, accelerates metabolism.
Supports the normal functioning of the nervous system
Indicated for people with diabetes. Fiber absorbs excess sugar in the blood, stops emissions. Maintains good condition.
- People with allergic reactions to the constituent components should exclude berries from the diet;
- if the secretion of the thyroid gland is increased, you should also avoid eating berries;
- Regularly exceeding the daily allowance can lead to an oversaturation of the body with vitamins and minerals. This is no less harmful than a deficit.